As a primary caregiver your first priority is to take care of your sick loved one. Your second priority should be to take care of yourself. The financial, emotional, and physical stress you are under is immense.
Due to these pressures, primary caregivers often become sick themselves, which won’t allow you to take care of your loved one. Here are 10 important tips for maintaining your health so you can be the best caregiver possible.
- Attend to your own healthcare needs.
- Get proper rest and nutrition.
- Exercise regularly, even if only for 10 minutes at a time.
- Take time off without feeling guilty.
- Learn to delegate. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Stay social. Make it a priority to visit regularly with others. Nurture your close relationships.
- Continue to do the things you enjoy, such as work or hobbies.
- Take advantage of community services, such as day care or transportation services.
- Set realistic goals. Focus on what you can provide, and realize no one is a “PERFECT”.
- Remember the care you give makes a difference. Focus on the positives as they occur, and enjoy your time together.